VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a technology that provides a secure (encrypted) connection from one point to another over a public infrastructure such as the Internet. For security reasons, users are required to utilize VPN to access certain College administrative systems and services from off-campus. A VPN can also be used when connecting to an untrusted network (such as a wireless network) to ensure that no one can eavesdrop on your communication. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidelines for using VPN at New Paltz.
The policy applies to anyone who uses a New Paltz VPN connection, for any purpose. Where policy guidelines appear to conflict, the guideline to be used will be the one that is most restrictive. Anyone having a valid student, staff, faculty, or computer services authorized New Paltz computer user account may use the VPN facilities.
Where can I get the VPN software?
VPN Client software and documentation is available for Windows and Macintosh machines. It can be downloaded here.
* It is the responsibility of those with VPN privileges to ensure that their VPN connection is not shared with unauthorized users. The VPN must be disconnected when it is not in use by an authorized user.
* All computers communicating to or from SUNY New Paltz networks must use the most recent anti-virus software, definition file, and have all current security-related operating system patches.
* VPN privileges may be revoked by the SUNY New Paltz networking staff at any time, for any reason and for any length of time, including permanently.
* All persons, including users of computers that are not owned by SUNY New Paltz, must insure the equipment software has been configured to comply with this VPN policy and all other applicable SUNY New Paltz and New York state defined policies. These requirements may be changed at any time by computer services.
* Any VPN connection may be disconnected by the Computer Services networking staff for any length of time including permanently.
* VPN connections made via the SUNY New Paltz VPN to other networks must maintain compliance with all rules, regulations, and standards set forth by SUNY New Paltz Computer Services.
* When connecting to any network via the SUNY New Paltz VPN with personal equipment, said equipment will be considered an extension of the SUNY New Paltz network. As such, the equipment is subject to the same rules and regulations that apply to SUNY New Paltz-owned equipment, i.e., the machines must be configured to comply with all SUNY New Paltz security policies.
* VPN is a “user managed” service. This means that the user is responsible for selecting an Internet Service Provider (ISP), coordinating installation, installing any required software, and paying associated fees.
* Any user found to have violated this policy may be subject to loss of certain privileges or services but not necessarily limited to the loss of VPN services, and other disciplinary actions or legal sanctions, civil and criminal.